"We may not have it all together, but together we have it all."




Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Dresser Make-Over

We have needed a dresser for Graden since he was born, but have gotten by with one of those tupperware drawer things. I have been pricing dressers for over a year and had come to the conclusion that I didn't want to pay $200 for a furniture in the box one that will fall apart in a couple of years. I also didn't want to pay the price for a solid wood one. I figure I will wait until my kids are ready for a Queen bed and then get them a really nice bedroom set that they can take with them when they move out. So I really just need their "kid" furniture to last them to around Jr. High. So this was my first attempt at redoing furniture and I think it turned out alright. I paid $20 for the dresser at a thrift store. I found it on my first visit. The paint supplies and new hardware ran about $50. So $70 for a new dresser is not too bad. I let Hallie choose which one she wanted me to fix up for her, her current dresser or this one. She chose this one. I'd wanted to do something more spectacular with it but that would have run the price up more, plus this will match whatever bedding she gets. Some of the handles are white and some are purple flowers. So here's the before and after.


6 comments:

Our life said...

LOOKS AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

I think you did a good job! Come teach me, I really need to redo Taven's. :) I wish my mom had gotten me a bedroom set when I was in jr. high then my furniture now wouldn't look like a college dorm room minus my nice bed.

Lynnell said...

Wow!You did a great job, I'm impressed!

The Lewis' said...

I will totally come help you out Katie. It wasn't too complicated. I sanded it then painter, just 6 coats including primer, paint, and sealer. Yeah I wish my parents had bought me one too. I slept on a twin bed until I moved out of the house.

Rebecah Ogden said...

you are so creative!

Sarah said...

Very Cute!