"We may not have it all together, but together we have it all."




Friday, February 3, 2012

Obsession

No not the perfume of the 90's, but my latest obsession. Rust-oleum Oil rubbed bronze paint!



My house was built in the year 2000. It doesn't seem that long ago, but it was a time when all hardware that was put into houses was brass/gold like this:

We have been slowly working on replacing it over the last 4.5 years. The first thing to go was the gold front door handle right after we moved in. The last 4 years it has driven me crazy because our front room has had an oil rubbed bronze door handle, a gold coat closet handle, a brushed nickel light by the front door and an antiqued brass ceiling fan. Yep 4 metals in one room. Am I obsessive compulsive? Isn't that just so wrong!?! So I painted the ceiling fan and light, and bought a new handle for the coat closet. Finally it's all cohesive and I am happy!
Next was the kitchen. I am terrible at before pictures so here's some stock photos of the lighting we had in there. This was over the sink:


And this noisy UGLY thing was in the kitchen: (we had wanted to replace it with recessed can lighting, but it's a vaulted ceiling and a huge pain so we never got around to it.)We settled on this instead and I am SO happy with the result:



We want to redo or paint our cabinets but aren't sure what to do yet, but in the meantime the hardware was antique brass so I used about $3 worth of oil rubbed bronze paint so I can live with it a little longer.
This is the last this that needs to be updated on this level of our house:
The chandelier over the kitchen table. It's brushed nickel so it's not too out of date, but it doesn't go with the other lighting in the kitchen now. I have not had any luck finding a reasonably priced chandelier that I like. So for not I think it will get a coat of my favorite new spray paint and see how that looks. I will post after pics when it is done:)

No comments: