"We may not have it all together, but together we have it all."




Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Apron Tutorial

I learned to sew when I was around 8 or 9-years-old. I always liked it. In Jr. high I took sewing class and we made aprons. This is the same basic idea as the one I made way back then, but I don't like to bother searching for or buying a pattern for something so simple. This is my apron tutorial for this apron this one is for a 4-year-old so it is sized accordingly.

I started by folding the fabric in half. Good sides in. Then I drew an apron shape that I liked and cut it out.

I wanted pockets on it, so I cut out two equal squares.
Then I folded and ironed the squares and stitched the top hem of each pocket.
Here are the pockets pinned onto the apron. I measured from the sides and bottom of the apron so that I made sure I put them on evenly.
Here they are all sewn on.
Next I used 1/2inch Bias Tape to put an edge on it.
The rounded corners are a bit tricky to get around without any fold, but you can do it.

Then sew the bias tape on to top hem and all around the bottom. Leave the "armpits" without for now.
Then you can use bias tape to make one long piece that will be the neck, armpit trim, and ties. Kind of like so.

I wanted a little more of the coordinating fabric so I used that and made my own trim instead. Pinned it an and sewed.

And there you have it! Just remember if a bunch of 7th graders can do it you can too!